Newton’s 1st Avenue Sculpture and Art Program
The Iowa Sculpture Festival, Centre for Arts and Artists, Greater Newton Area Chamber of Commerce, ReNew Newton, individuals and businesses, with the encouragement and collaboration of the City of Newton, Iowa, have joined to establish the
First Avenue of Sculpture and Art program
with the intent to educate, excite and entertain the
citizens and visitors of Newton, Iowa.
A component of the civic effort Newton’s Future:
A Comprehensive Plan, the entities mentioned above developed a community sculpture rental and sale program. Launched in 2014, the first sites are listed below (and on the interactive map to the left), with the goal of adding more in the future. The rental program seeks to heighten awareness for public art in the community and selected works, submitted through an annual call for entries, will be sited each April and remain in place until approximately November 1st.
- First Avenue West: 1200 block 1st Ave W, just west of the railroad underpass.
- Courthouse Square Flower Bed: Corner of 1st Avenue and 1st Street North.
- Sersland Park: Corner of 1st Ave E and E 2nd Street North.
- Edward Jones, Office of Mark W Allen: 1402 1st Ave East
- Aurora Heights Park: 2100 block 1st Ave East at East 21st Street South.
- Community Bank: 2506 1st Ave East.